must be up to date
on DHPP, Kennel Cough, and Rabies vaccinations, as well as being clear of external
parasites and communicable diseases to be eligible to attend a
class. No dog showing evidence of eye, ear, or skin infections will be allowed in the class.
Puppies under six months
of age must have had their second booster for DHPP. Rabies and Kennel Cough vaccination are not required until the dog has reached 4 months of age.
- Titer tests will only be accepted in lieu of vaccinations in dogs over 2 years of age and must have been done within 6 months prior to attending any classes. A secondary waiver of liability will need to be completed for those who choose Titers in Lieu of regular vaccinations. The Titer must also be done on the complete DHPP (not just for Parvo) and will NOT be accepted for either Rabies or Kennel Cough. Dog owners choosing Titer Tests in Lieu of Vaccinations MUST bring a copy of the actual Titer results to leave with us for our records on ALL THREE of the following:
-- Parvovirus and Distemper combination Titer,
-- Hepatitis and Adenovirus combination Titer,
-- Parainfluenza Titer
It is the dog owner's responsibility to bring the proper requested paperwork to the first night of class, or be refused entry to classes. Instructors will NOT contact any student's veterinarian to confirm a dog's vaccination status, the student is liable to provide the information requested.
# 2. Safety
First – No Aggressive Dogs Allowed in Group Classes
For the safety of
everyone taking group classes, students will be expelled from
classes if their dog exhibits aggression towards other people and/or
dogs. Banned breeds, dogs that have been in quarantine
for biting and females in season will not be allowed in group
Banned breeds or dogs
that have been in quarantine for biting will not be allowed in group
classes but may be allowed to take private instruction at the
discretion of the instructor.
# 3. Safety
First – No unaccompanied minors in any lessons, the minimum age is 10 years old*
Any group class (other then the kids' Pawzabilities class) has a minimum age of 10 years old for children. The minimum age for the Pawzabilities Program is 8 years of age, and any children younger than the minimum posted ages will only be allowed in private lessons with their family attending. This is for the safety of the children attending the classes.
# 4. Safety First
– No Dogs Eating a Raw Meat Diet Allowed in Classes
The primary concern we have relating to raw meat diets is the transmission of disease to people. In families with children, elderly or immune compromised members (cancer, chemotherapy, transplant or HIV patients for example) it is extremely risky to feed dogs uncooked meat or raw animal products (uncooked bones, etc.) and we at Herdabout K9 Academy do not want to put any of our students, instructors or assistants at risk by having dogs who are eating a raw meat or BARF diet attending our classes, and therefore exposing people to these health risks they would not normally encounter.
One published study (Canadian Veterinary Journal) demonstrated that 80% of raw food diets containing poultry were positive for salmonella and 30% of the dogs eating these diets were passing salmonella in their feces.
Salmonella, E. coli, Campylobacter and Cryptosporidium are some examples of infections that could be transferred by dogs eating raw meat through various forms of cross contamination and make humans sick.
Safety is based on avoiding risk and prevention is a key factor in avoiding risk.
reserves the right to refuse and excuse anyone from lessons at any
Want to view a sample of our class? We have several videos which would give you a good idea of how our classes are run. Clickable link to youtube videos (opens in new window)
Bring to Class
FOOTWEAR: If your class is indoors, please bring a separate pair of indoor shoes for the class room. If your class is outdoors, please wear good fitting running shoes. No Clogs, Crocks, Flip Flops or strapless Sandals.
A Leash & A Collar - No body harness, No head halters and No retractable leashes allowed.
- Obedience classes can use flat buckle, martingale or a slip collar made of fabric, leather, or chain.
- Agility classes must use either flat buckle or martingale collars. No choke chains or prong collars, will be permitted in Agility classes for safety reasons.
Proof of current vaccinations (paper proof not tags) Only signed vaccination passports, or veterinarian certificates will be accepted as proof of vaccinations. A three year vaccination for rabies will be accepted for dogs unless they are over 2 years of age when the vaccinatin was given. Sales receipts for vaccinations or Titers tests will NOT be accepted as proof of vaccinations. You must bring a photocopy of your dog's current vaccination certificate to leave with us when registering for a class. We will not make a photocopy. Students are required to provide us with the photocopy for our records.
Semi moist, quick to swallow, training treats. No crunchie cookies. No kibbles. No Freeze Dried Meats. Nothing with peanuts in it please.
- Puppies 9 weeks to 12 weeks of age must have had their first booster for DHPP.
- Puppies 3-5 months of age must have had their second booster for DHPP. Kennel Cough Vaccination is mandatory for puppies who are 4 months and older.
- Dogs 6 months and older must be up to date of DHPP, Rabies, and Kennel Cough vaccinations.
- Titer tests: Dog owners choosing Titer Tests in Lieu of Vaccinations MUST bring a copy of the actual Titer results to leave with us for our records on ALL THREE of the following:
- Parvovirus and Distemper combination Titer
- Hepatitis and Adenovirus combination Titer
- Parainfluenza Titer
-- We suggest salami style Rollover Wild Pacific Salmon or Natural Balance Lamb Formula.
-- Cut the "sausage" into 1/2 inch slices before you arrive to class. Good to have about 6-8 slices for each class.
Poop Bags ... you might want to bring more than one just in case!
Water Bowl - no community water bowl will be provided. If you think your dog is going to need a drink during the class please bring water and a bowl for your dog.
A fanny pack is optional for storing and having quick access to your training treats.
don't forget to bring the dog!
(Unless we ask you to leave them home on a first lesson)
If you have read and agree with all rules, then please check the
to find out when our next group of classes start at
Herdabout K-9 Academy.